A product changing any of the following will require a new UNFI product number:
- Case Size
- Retail UPC Code
- Brand Name
- Unit Size
- The only exception is an increase in unit size in an amount less than 1 ounce
- Any Organic Status Change
- A change of Organic to Non-Organic will also require a new UPC
- No longer recognizable from original description and is normally coordinated with an ingredient change
- Ingredient Change
- Any ingredient change that adds or removes an allergen as determined by the FDA designated allergen list - Milk, Eggs, Fish (e.g. bass, flounder, cod), Crustacean shellfish (e.g. crab, lobster, shrimp), Tree nuts (e.g. almonds, walnuts, pecans), Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans will assigned a new product number
- Any ingredient change that may cause a material change to the product will be reviewed for a possible number change, ie non-hydrogenated oil to hydrogenated oil.
A minimum of ninety day notification is required. UNFI will pass all necessary information to our accounts. Failure to provide the needed notification will result in a $500 fine per occurrence.
Changes on promotional items cannot be accepted until after the promotional period ends.
The supplier will be charged for the full landed cost of current inventory plus a $35 per item per distribution center processing fee. Product disposal may be subject to additional fees.
An agreement for the disposition of current inventory is required before a new product number will be created.
New product shipped before an agreement is in place will be put on hold at the receiving location. The supplier will be notified and have 14 days to resolve.
Old product shipped when the new product has been ordered will be refused. The supplier will have 14 days to pick up the product or UNFI will donate to the local food bank.
Product graphic change notifications should be sent to your respective SRM; these may not require a new product number but the information is important to share with our warehouse, customer service departments and customers.
New product images should be sent to Photography@unfi.com.
It is suggested to advertise a significant change to our accounts through the use of our monthly newsletter. Please discuss this possibility with your UNFI Supplier Relationship Manager.
Click below for a downloadable version >